In the autumn of 1874, a new church began near Boundary Road (read more here). The church grew and more space was needed. There was also a desire to be closer to the developing town of Walthamstow. So on 13th June 1914, our present building in Orford Road was opened! So 2014 was the centenary of the church worshipping in the building in Orford Road, and we took the opportunity to thank God for his faithfulness of those 100 years.
Over the weekend of the 14th and 15th June 2014, we held special services to thank God for his goodness to the church over 100 years. The Saturday saw a reunion thanksgiving service. We enjoyed seeing old members return to us, and lots of friendships were renewed. Thanks to everyone who helped with the tea for 160-170 people!! Roger Carswell spoke on the privilege of the church to spread the good news of Christ’s suffering, resurrection and the need for repentance leading to the forgiveness of sins.
Sunday morning’s anniversary service included a message on the significance of people, the significance of our service to the Lord and the significance of everyone who has been saved : an encouragement to us all! In the evening, around 250 to 300 people came to the Songs of Praise service. We were glad to be joined by other local churches (including the music group from Grove Hill Evangelical Church who accompanied our sung praise!), as well as some friends, neighbours and family members that were invited. Roger Carswell spoke for a third time, and spoke of why Christians sing … from when they are saved, through every part of life (including suffering) and into heaven itself! See the photos below.
We thank God for a great time together, for helpful Bible teaching, for all who came, for enabling many people in the church to serve together at this time. And we trust God will continue to use his Word in people’s lives!